Dry Eyes Diagnosis and Treatment In Dallas, TX
At Optique, our team is available to you for eye exams. We provide outstanding service to each one of our patients. One of the most important factors in taking care of your eyes is your regular annual eye exam. If you have not had one, or you’ve developed changes to your vision or eye health, all your Dallas optometrist for an appointment. One of the times you should give us a call right away is when you are suffering from dry eyes.
When Are Dry Eyes More Than Just Bothersome?
Having dry eyes from time to time is not uncommon. However, for some people, this can occur very often and even become chronic. Chronic dry eyes require ongoing care and attention. They can be caused by a number of factors. Common symptoms of chronic dry eyes requiring care from your eye doctor include:
- Burning or scratchy eyes
- Stringy mucus that is near your eyes
- Eye redness
- Trouble wearing contact lenses
- Difficulty with nighttime driving
- Watery eyes
- Feeling like you have something in your eyes
- Vision that’s blurry or a feeling that your eyes are tired
If you have these symptoms of dry eyes, it’s important for you to seek out care from our team. The most common causes of dry eyes include:
- Allergen exposure
- Medical conditions such as diabetes, lupus, arthritis, and thyroid disorders
- Medications such as antihistamines for allergens, cold medications, high blood pressure medications, birth control, hormone replacement therapy, and antidepressants
- Having had laser eye surgery
- Tear gland damage
What Treatment Options Are Available for Dry Eyes?
The first step is to come in to see your optometrist. We’ll provide you with a thorough eye exam to look at your vision and eye health. We can then offer the right type of treatment for dry eyes. Treatment options may include:
- Medications used to reduce inflammation in the eyelid
- Eyedrops that can help to reduce inflammation in the cornea
- Eye inserts that help to produce artificial tears
- Tear-stimulating drugs if your eyes do not produce enough tears
- Eyedrops that can create tears, some made from your own blood
- Procedures to close the tear ducts to reduce the amount of tear loss you have
- Specialized contact lenses that can help to minimize drying out of the eyes
- Unblocking of oil glands
- Light therapy to help increase the production of tears
The type of treatment for dry eyes that is right for you depends on many factors including the underlying cause of your dry eyes. Whether your eyes are not producing enough tears or the quality of your tears is poor, our team can help you to see the relief you need.
Schedule a Consultation with Your Dallas Optometrist at Optique for an Eye Exam
Your Optique optometrist, Dr. Orm III, is happy to provide you with an eye exam to determine the underlying cause of your dry eyes. Call us for an appointment in our Dallas office. Call us at: (214) 252-1800.